Weekend highlight: The Southwest Virginia Hunter Jumper Association Finals will be held Nov. 6-8 at the Virginia Horse Center in Anderson Coliseum. The 27th annual horse show includes the Medal Finals and a $1,000 International Hunter Derby. Dale Crittenbe of Aldie, Va., Paddy Downing-Nyeg, of Burnsville, N.C., and Catherine Ellis of Warrenton, Va., will judge.
TRAIL RIDES/HUNTER PACES
- BCHA Hunter Pace, Nov. 8, at Belle Haven Estates (5300 Lithia Road) in Buchanan, Va. Four divisions will be offered: Open, Hunter Pleasure, Trail and Gaited Trail. Registration will start at 10 a.m. with the first open riders going out at 11 a.m. Teams are to be made up of two to four riders. Ribbons will be awarded to the top 6 teams in each division. Adults, $35; Juniors, $25 Dress is informal with helmets required.
- Rockbridge Hunt Poker Ride, Nov. 8 at Broadview Ranch. Riders will set their own pace on a well-marked and shady course at the beautiful Broadview Ranch and the surrounding farms and woodland. During this untimed ride, you’ll pick up five playing cards along the route and submit your poker hand to the Casino Master at the end of the ride. The best Poker hands win cash prizes! Start 9 a.m., last riders out at 11 a.m. on a 6-8 mile course. All riding disciplines are welcome. Entry fees (includes lunch): $35 Adult rider, $25 Junior rider (under 18). Lunch will be served until 2 p.m. Awards: Best six hands win cash. 1st $50, 2nd $40, 3rd $30, 4th $20, 5th $10, 6th $5. Questions? Contact: Hugh Brown at email@example.com. Directions: Take Interstate 81 North to Exit 180 – Route 11 North at Natural Bridge. At top of exit ramp turn left onto Route 11 North. Travel about 7 miles. Turn left at the Route 11 bypass/Rt 251 intersection (traffic light). Proceed about 5 miles. Cross bridge over Buffalo Creek & immediately turn left on Cedar Hill Church Road (Route 675). Go 1 mile.At “T” (no stop sign) turn right onto Zollmans Mill Road. Go 1/10th mile road ends at Broadview Ranch. Follow signs for parking.
- Franklin County Mini Education Equine Program, Nov. 7, Ferrum College
- Phillip Dutton Clinic sponsored by Healing Strides of Virginia, Nov. 7, Boones Mill, VA
- Horse Head Wreath Workshop, 10 a.m. on Nov. 14 at the Blue Ridge Public Library (For more information or to register contact: Delila Spradlin at firstname.lastname@example.org, Only 15 spots will be available. $30 deposit required to reserve space.)
- Virginia Horse Shows Association Championships, Nov. 12-15, Virginia Horse Center
- CANCELED The Gala of the Royal Horses, Nov. 12, Berglund Center, Roanoke
- Franklin County Equestrian Club 2nd Annual County Fair Horse Show, Nov. 14, Ginther Farm, Rocky Mount, Va.
- Horse Head Wreath Workshop, Nov. 14, Blue Ridge Public Library (For more information or to register contact: Delila Spradlin at email@example.com, Only 15 spots available)
- Rockbridge Hunt Club Fall Hunter Pace, Nov. 15, Staunton, Va.
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, Nov. 20-21, Virginia Horse Center
- Franklin County Trailblazer 4-H Club Fall Fun Show, Nov. 21, The Hatcher Farm in Ferrum, Va.
- Bedford County Hunt Fall Horse Show, Nov. 22, Randolph College Riding Center in Lynchburg, Va.
- Dressage Clinic with Lauren Sprieser, Dec. 4-5, Taylor’s Store Dressage, Wirtz, Va. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, Dec. 4-5, Virginia Horse Center
- Hear the Beat Horse Show – Christmas Edition, Dec. 12, Virginia Horse Center Anderson Coliseum
- Franklin County Equestrian Club Reindeer Games Competitive Trail Ride, Dec. 26, Waid Park, Rocky Mount
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series,Jan. 29-30, Virginia Horse Center
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, Feb. 26-27, Virginia Horse Center
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, March 25-26, Virginia Horse Center
Like Roanoke Equestrian on Facebook for continued updates on horse shows in the area. Have a show coming up? Contact us at Roanoke.Equestrian@gmail.com to add it to our calendar.