VIRGINIA HORSE CENTER
The Eastern Arabian Horse Show & East Coast Championships will be held Thursday, July 30 through Sunday, Aug. 2 at the Virginia Horse Center. Michele Blackwell-Betten, Oliver Brown, Phoebe Devoe-Moore, Nicky Vogel and Gwen Ka’awaloa will judge the Eastern Arabian Horse Show. Wendy Gruskiewicz, Kevn Price, Dawn Coons, Grace Greenlee, David Schmutz,Phoebe Devoe-Moore, Gwen Ka’awaloa and Nancy Ashway will judge the East Coast Championship classes. In honor of the late Sue Eves, a perpetual trophy has been established in her honor to be awarded to the Purebred Arabian earning the most points in Sport Horse In Hand and Sport Horse Under Saddle classes, combined, at the East Coast Championships. The show will also include a Egyptian Arabian Performance Challenge. A detailed class list can be found here. And if you are curious about Egyptian Arabians, find an article here by The Roanoke Times on a local breeder.
- The Pine Spur Hunt Club 2015 Hunter Show Series continues on Saturday, Aug. 1, in Vinton. (1049 Pine Spur Road Vinton, Va.) Margaret Cornwell will judge. This show is Blue Ridge Horse Force sanctioned.
- Horseplay 4-H Benefit Show, will be held Sunday, Aug. 2, at the Alphin-Stewart Arena at Virginia Tech. This show is also Blue Ridge Horse Force sanctioned. The show begins at 10 a.m. and has a variety of flat and over-fences classes. The afternoon session, which won’t start before 2 p.m., also includes several dressage seat equitation classes, leadline and showmanship.
A few auditor spots are still available for the Julie Winkel Clinic (hunt seat equitation), Tuesday, Aug. 4, Virginia Horse Center. Winkel is a trainer, judge, and popular clinician. She’s trained and shown hunters and jumpers to the top levels, nationally and internationally, and has had many grand prix wins and hunter championships throughout her career.
- Franklin County Equestrian Club 5th Annual Open Horse Show, Aug. 8, Ginther Farm, Rocky Mount
- 4-H Youth Horse Show, Aug. 8, Buchanan (550 Lowe Street) (part of Botetourt County Fair)
- Lexington National Horse Show “AA”, Aug. 5-9, Virginia Horse Center.
- Trail Horse Clinic & Challenge with Perfect Partners Equine, Aug. 13-16, Ivanhoe, Va.
- National Barrel Horse Association Colonial Nationals, Aug. 13-16, Virginia Horse Center.
- New London Horse Show Series, Aug. 15, Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, 4178 Headens Bridge Road, Bedford, Va.
- Virginia Trail Talk with Sally Aungier (Member of Governor’s State Trail Committee), Aug. 15, Fincastle Library (RSVP by Aug. 12 with Dedi Spradlin at email@example.com)
- Richard Winters Horsemanship Clinic with Cattle, Aug. 21-23, Crockett, Va.
- Equi-Fest at the Sedalia Center, 9 a.m. Aug. 22, Sedalia Center in Big Island, Va.
- Clinton Anderson Walkabout Tour, Aug. 22-23, Virginia Horse Center, Lexington, Va.
- Cross View Show Series – Dog Days of Summer, Aug. 22-23, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- ACTHA at Historic Explore Park, Aug. 22-23, Roanoke County’s Explore Park (Register by Aug. 20)
- Bedford County Fair equine competitions, Aug. 28, Huddleston, Va.
- Sallie B. Wheeler East Coast Hunter Breeding National Championship, Aug. 28-29, Virginia Horse Center
- Astride with Pride Benefit Horse Show, Aug. 29, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- New London Horse Show Series, Sept. 5 (postponed from June 6), Coyote Crossing Cattle Company (4178 Headens Bridge Rd.) Bedford
- Adult Dressage Camp, Sept. 24-27, Penmerryl Equestrian Center, Greenville, Va.
- Annual BCHA Horse Show, Oct. 4, Green Hill Park Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- New London Horse Show Series, Oct. 24, Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, 4178 Headens Bridge Road, Bedford, Va.
- Cross View Show Series – Halloween, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
Like Roanoke Equestrian on Facebook for continued updates on horse shows in the area. Have a show coming up? Contact us at Roanoke.Equestrian@gmail.com to add it to our calendar.