|Virginia Horse Center photo|
VIRGINIA HORSE CENTER
- The center will be hosting the Virginia Horse Trials, an international three-day event featuring riders from the United States, Canada and Europe including Olympic medalists and U.S. Equestrian Team members competing in dressage, cross-country and show jumping. Admission and parking are free, and dogs and children are welcome, but please keep your dogs on a leash. Competition begins Friday at 9 a.m. and continues through Sunday. Three top eventing riders selected for the 2015 Pan American Games, Phillip Dutton, Lauren Kieffer and Marilyn Little, will compete. Team alternates Will Faudree and Michael Pollard are also scheduled to ride. Dutton is a two-time Olympic gold medalist and a former winner of the renowned Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event.
- The House Mountain Horse Show will be held Saturday and Sunday in the East Complex at the center. This hunter show has classes both over fences and on the flat. It will be judged by Stephen Bickers of Free Union, Virginia.
The New River Valley Horse Show will be held Thursday through Saturday at the New River Valley Fairgrounds in Dublin, Virginia. This show charges an admission of $5, children 12 and under are free with an adult. Friday evening is spectator appreciation night and adult tickets are $2. Each evening a full slate of classes will be offered for gaited horses, while classes open to all breeds will be offered Saturday beginning at 9 a.m. Friday evening will also offer speed classes. This show is a qualifier for the Kentucky State Fair and is Blue Ridge Horse Force sanctioned as well. Allison Deardorff, of Molalla, Oregon, is the Saddlebred judge. Ashley Owens, of Blacksburg, Virginia, will judge the hunters, western and racking.
- Diet and Hoof Health – It Matters! Join a lively discussion of how diet is important for healthy hooves on Saturday 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Floyd Library Community Room.
- The USEFnetwork will be broadcasting the Devon Horse Show live from Devon, Pennsylvania, from Thursday, May 21 through Sunday May 31. This weekend’s highlights include Junior Jumpers on Friday at 8 p.m. and the Shetland Pony steeplechase on Sunday. For a full show schedule click here.
- Saddle demonstration and talk, Tad Coffin of Tad Coffin Performance Saddles, 9 a.m., May 31, Memory’s Hill. Open to the public and free. Anyone who is interested can contact Ashley Holsinger at 540-383-6424 to RSVP or for more information.
- Dressage with a View, May 30, Virginia Horse Center
- Virginia Barrel Horse Classic, May 28-31, Virginia Horse Center
- Hear the Beat Open Horse Show, May 31, Virginia Horse Center, Lexington, Va.
- Roanoke Valley Horse Rescue Open House Yard & Tack Sale, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., May 30-31, 1725 Edwardsville Rd, Hardy, Virginia.
- Saddle up for Shriners, June 5-7, Hillsville, Va.
- Virginia Presidential Paso Fino Horse Association Show, June 5-7, Virginia Horse Center
- Bedford Hunt Club Hunter Pace, June 6, The Cedars, Goode, Va.
- New London Horse Show Series, June 6, Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, 4178 Headens Bridge Road, Bedford, Va.
- Stone Bridge Equestrian Center Horse Show, June 6-7, Natural Bridge, Va.
- Southern VA draft horse and mule show, June 6, Pine Spur, Vinton
- Blue Ridge Arabian Classic, June 11-14, Virginia Horse Center
- Franklin County Trailblazers 4-H Horse Show (Rescheduled), June 13, The Ginther Farm, Sontag, Va.
- Franklin County Equestrian Club Gymkhana Saddle Series, 6 p.m., June 12, Dove Valley Farm (11918 Henry Road, Henry, Va.)
- Sprouses Corner Ranch Mid Summer Evening Horse Show, June 20, Buckingham, Va.
- Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show, June 20-21, Virginia Horse Center
- House Mountain Horse Show, June 23-24, Virginia Horse Center
- Cross View Show Series – Aloha, June 27-28, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- Micheal Lyons Performance Clinic, Saturday, June 27, Walnut Springs Stables, Blacksburg. $175 to ride, $25 to audit. Limited spaces are available. (336) 267-1086
- Commonwealth Games – Equestrian Sports, June 27-28, Virginia Horse Center
- Equestrian Vaulting Region IX Championship, June 27-29, Virginia Horse Center
- New London Horse Show Series, July 18, Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, 4178 Headens Bridge Road, Bedford, Va.
- New London Horse Show Series, Aug. 15, Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, 4178 Headens Bridge Road, Bedford, Va.
- Clinton Anderson Walkabout Tour, Aug. 22-23, Virginia Horse Center, Lexington, Va.
- Cross View Show Series – Dog Days of Summer, June 27-28, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- Annual BCHA Horse Show, Oct. 4, Green Hill Park Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- New London Horse Show Series, Oct. 24, Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, 4178 Headens Bridge Road, Bedford, Va.
- Cross View Show Series – Halloween, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
Like Roanoke Equestrian on Facebook for continued updates on horse shows in the area. Have a show coming up? Contact us at Roanoke.Equestrian@gmail.com to add it to our calendar.