|Sara Siegel and Subtle Contrast. Photo by USEA|
Weekend highlight: Several hundred eventing riders from around the country will be at the Virginia Horse Center for the Fall Virginia Horse Trials and Area II championships from Oct. 31-Nov. 1. Competitors (from beginner novice to 2-star) will enjoy improved footing, brand new courses designed by John Nicholson (in his United States debut), an elaborate rider party on Saturday evening, outdoor show jumping and $4,000 in prize money for the international classes. But there’s more to the combined training event than just the competition. A week-long extravaganza will include:
- Clinic with New Zealand 4-star Event Riders Tim and Jonelle Price, along with the United States’ own 4-star standouts Sharon White and Doug Payne on October 27-29.
- Horse-and-rider combinations will have the chance to participate in schooling rounds on Thursday prior to the event in dressage and show jumping. The schooling rounds are open to all riders, not just those that choose to compete over the weekend in the trials.
Admission and parking are free to all spectators. Dogs and children are welcome, but please keep your dogs on a leash.
- Cross View Show Series – Halloween, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- Trimble’s Ridge Horse Show, Oct. 31, Virginia Horse Center East Complex
- Franklin County Equestrian Club’s Ghost and Goblins Competitive Trail Ride, Oct. 31, Waid Park in Rocky Mount
- Iron Mountain Meadow Halloween trail ride, Oct. 31, Ivanhoe, Va. (For reservations call 276-237-2600)
- Horse Head Wreath Workshop, 10 a.m. on Nov. 14 at the Blue Ridge Public Library (For more information or to register contact: Delila Spradlin at email@example.com, Only 15 spots will be available. $30 deposit required to reserve space.)
- Southwest Virginia Hunter Jumper Association Finals, Nov. 6-8, Virginia Horse Center Anderson Coliseum
- Franklin County Mini Education Equine Program, Nov. 7, Ferrum College
- Phillip Dutton Clinic sponsored by Healing Strides of Virginia, Nov. 7, Boones Mill, VA
- BCHA Hunter Pace, Nov. 8, Belle Haven Estates in Buchanan, Va. (For more information, contact Debbie Mooty at 540-312-8393.)
- Virginia Horse Shows Association Championships, Nov. 12-15, Virginia Horse Center
- The Gala of the Royal Horses, Nov. 12, Berglund Center, Roanoke
- Franklin County Equestrian Club 2nd Annual County Fair Horse Show, Nov. 14, Ginther Farm, Rocky Mount, Va.
- Horse Head Wreath Workshop, Nov. 14, Blue Ridge Public Library (For more information or to register contact: Delila Spradlin at firstname.lastname@example.org, Only 15 spots available)
- Rockbridge Hunt Club Fall Hunter Pace, Nov. 15, Staunton, Va.
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, Nov. 20-21, Virginia Horse Center
- Franklin County Trailblazer 4-H Club Fall Fun Show, Nov. 21, The Hatcher Farm in Ferrum, Va.
- Bedford County Hunt Fall Horse Show, Nov. 22, Randolph College Riding Center in Lynchburg, Va.
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, Dec. 4-5, Virginia Horse Center
- Hear the Beat Horse Show – Christmas Edition, Dec. 12, Virginia Horse Center Anderson Coliseum
- Franklin County Equestrian Club Reindeer Games Competitive Trail Ride, Dec. 26, Waid Park, Rocky Mount
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series,Jan. 29-30, Virginia Horse Center
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, Feb. 26-27, Virginia Horse Center
- Mountain State Rodeo Winter Series, March 25-26, Virginia Horse Center
Like Roanoke Equestrian on Facebook for continued updates on horse shows in the area. Have a show coming up? Contact us at Roanoke.Equestrian@gmail.com to add it to our calendar.