|The Cross View Horse Show Series continues this weekend with Dog Days of Summer.|
- The Cross View Horse Show Series continues with Dog Days of Summer on Aug. 22-23 at Green Hill Equestrian Center in Salem. Hunters and jumpers will show on Saturday, Aug. 22, with classes both over fences and on the flat. Katie Jackson will judge Saturday’s show. Sunday’s show offers a variety of classes including halter/model, showmanship, gaited, English and Western pleasure, Ranch Riding, Mini and Games. Barbara Prather will judge. Both shows are also Blue Ridge Horse Force and Franklin County Equestrian Club sanctioned.
- Sprouses Corner Ranch in Appomattox, Va., will hold their Friday Night Thunder Speed and Games Show at 6 p.m. on Aug. 21.
- Watch Clinton Anderson put one of his horses through their paces as his Walkabout Tour comes to the Virginia Horse Center Aug. 22-23. The Downunder Horsemanship method of horse training is based on mutual respect and understanding and gives horse owners the knowledge needed to become skilled horsemen and train their horses to be consistent and willing partners, according to his Website. Tickets are required to attend the clinic: $50, 12 and under are admitted free. Day 1 of the clinic includes: Philosophy Behind the Method, Roundpenning, Gaining Your Horse’s Respect on the Ground,and Advanced Riding.Day 2 includes: Tricks and Liberty,Desensitizing Your Horse to Spooky Objects,Advancing Your Groundwork,Gaining Respect Under Saddle, and Trailer Troubles.
- Richard Winters Horsemanship Clinic with Cattle, Aug. 21-23, Crockett, Va. Join NRCHA World Champion Richard Winters for a Horsemanship Clinic at Dreamweaver Farms in Crockett, Va. Spectators are welcome for $25 a day.
- Equi-Fest at the Sedalia Center, 9 a.m. on Aug. 22 at the Sedalia Center in Big Island, Va. Featuring a variety of demos including the Bedford County Hunt, Natural Chimneys Jousting Club and Mounted Shooting. Plus find vendors, concessions, musical performances, pony rides, a petting zoo and a tack swap. Free admission, $5 parking per car.
VIRGINIA HORSE CENTER
Clinton Anderson’s Walkabout Tour will be the big show at the VHC this weekend. But it’s not the only thing going on. The USEF/PFHA double pointed Paso Fino horse show in the East Complex and the American Connemara Pony Society Region III Show will be in Barn 5 and Northern Arena.
And next week, moving in on Monday, Aug. 24, the IALHA Andalusian Nationals comes to the horse center. Tuesday, Aug. 25, will include the Virginia Open Breed Dressage Show. Among many other classes, this show will include Working Equitation, a discipline based on the tradition of field work on ranches. Some might describe it as Trail Class on steroids. Working Equitation is scheduled for Wednesday in Fletcher Arena. Find a video example below of 2012 Andalusian Nationals Working Equitation Champion.
- Ride the historic Explore Park in Roanoke County while also earning great prizes with ACTHA on Aug. 22-23. The ride benefits the Roanoke Valley Horse Rescue. Registration closes Friday, Aug. 21 with a limit of 75 riders.
Want to stay home on the couch and still get your horse fix? The Internet understands.
- This weekend, catch the USEF Dressage National Championships from Lamplight Equestrian Center in Wayne Ill.
- On Saturday, watch the Canadian National Arabian & Half-Arabian Championship from Manitoba.
- Starting on Sunday, Aug. 23 and running all next week, you can watch the Hampton Classic from Bridgehampton, N.Y. Sunday will feature the $50,000 iHeartMEDIA Hunter Derby at noon.
- From Friday, Aug. 20, to Sunday, Aug. 23, watch the reining at the Northeast Super Slide-In from Eastern States Exposition Grounds, West Springfield, Massachusetts.
- On Saturday, Aug. 22, you can find cutting from the Fall Roundup at Lazy H Ranch in West Mansfield, Ohio.
- IALHA Andalusian Nationals, Aug. 24-29, Virginia Horse Center, Lexington, Va.
- Bedford County Fair equine competitions, Aug. 28, Huddleston, Va.
- CANCELED Flashpoint Bloodstock Sporthorse Auction, 7 p.m. Aug. 28, Barn 6, Virginia Horse Center
- Young Horse Festival, Aug. 28-29, Virginia Horse Center.
- Sallie B. Wheeler East Coast Hunter Breeding National Championship, Aug. 28-29, Virginia Horse Center
- Sprouse’s Corner Ranch Series Summer Horse Show, Aug. 29, Buckingham, Va.
- Astride with Pride Benefit Horse Show, Aug. 29, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
- New London Horse Show Series, Sept. 5 (postponed from June 6), Coyote Crossing Cattle Company (4178 Headens Bridge Rd.) Bedford
- Color Classic Futurity and APHA Show, Sept. 4-6, Virginia Horse Center, Lexington, Va.
- Sedalia Country Fair & Draft Horse Show, Sept. 5, Sedalia Center, Big Island, Va.
- Hear the Beat Horse Show, Sept. 6, Virginia Horse Center, Lexinton, Va.
- Ranch Horse Clinic at Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, Sept. 6, Bedford, Va.
- Horseman’s Association of Southwest Virginia Fall Fun Show, Sept. 12, New River Valley Fairgrounds, Dublin Va.
- Virginia 4-H State Championship Horse and Pony Show, Sept. 10-13, Virginia Horse Center
- Schooling Jumper Show, Sept. 19, Harmony Equestrian Center, Fincastle, Va.
- Baroque Equestrian Games & Classical Horse Competition, Sept. 18-20, Virginia Horse Center
- Adult Dressage Camp, Sept. 24-27, Penmerryl Equestrian Center, Greenville, Va.
- Nutrena East AQHA Level 1 Championships, Sept. 29-Oct. 4, Virginia Horse Center
- BCHA Fall Lunch & Learn, Oct. 4, Green Hill Park Equestrian Center, Salem, Va. (Previously scheduled horse show is canceled.)
- Sprouse’s Corner Ranch Series Fall Horse Show, Oct. 10, Buckingham, Va.
- New London Horse Show Series, Oct. 24, Coyote Crossing Cattle Company, 4178 Headens Bridge Road, Bedford, Va.
- Cross View Show Series – Halloween, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va.
Like Roanoke Equestrian on Facebook for continued updates on horse shows in the area. Have a show coming up? Contact us at Roanoke.Equestrian@gmail.com to add it to our calendar.