Joe and Penny Most’s Perfect Partner Equine, which holds clinics, trail obstacle challenges, equine excursions and retreats throughout the U.S., will hold a series of six trail horse events in 2017. Two of those events will be right here in Southwest Virginia along the New River in Ivanhoe.
The events are designed specifically for trail riders to have fun on their horses.
The PPE Trail Horse Challenge & Clinic Weekend will be held from June 8-11. Trail horse workshops and obstacle challenge classes will be available along with group activities and miles of trails along the beautiful New River. The Trail Horse Challenge & Clinic Weekend will be repeated Aug. 3-6.
Held at the Ivanhoe Show Grounds at 527 Trestle Road, the event is open to all breeds and all disciplines and no memberships are required to take part. Thursday and Friday will feature a trail horse clinic and workshops.
Trail Horse Riding Clinics include using the same basics, cues for going forward, backing up, emergency stops, and giving to the bit, as does the regular Rider’s Clinic. It also addresses such things as “jigging” on the trail, crossing streams and bridges, and problems that arise while riding with other horses. The added pleasure of this Clinic is to enjoy the beauty of the out-of-doors and our wonderful location.
- Thursday 2:30pm-6pm Trail Horse Ground & Handling Workshop will focus on building respect on the ground, managing tools and liberty skills. All horse owners at some point will need the skills to be able to work with their horse at liberty (no halter, no lead).
- Friday AM 9am-12:30 pm Trail Horse Riding Workshop focusing on refinement while building better body control, confidence & safety on the trail.
- Friday PM 2:30pm-6pm Trail Horse Riding Workshop focusing on navigating & mastering trail obstacles. Doing simple things very well.
Registration is required and horses should have trail experience.
The Trail Horse Competition will consist of two parts in 4 divisions (All Breed Adult & Youth (youth 6-18yrs); AQHA Adult & Youth (youth 6-18yrs):
- Obstacle Challenge Course (consists of 6-8 obstacles with different levels of challenge for the trail horse)
- Trail Patterns Class (consists of a pattern with transitions, speed control & some obstacles.
The weekend will also include a Meet & Greet campfire, Barn Party Potluck and trail riding.
Primitive camping is available with room for tie lines or portable fencing. RV Hookups and stalls/pens are available 2 miles from the event.
- Workshops $100.00 per rider per session (3 different sessions available)
- Challenge Course Classes $35.00 per rider/per horse
- Grounds/Office fee per rider $25.00 for entire weekend.
- A grounds fee of $25 will be charged to all riders.
For more information, go to their website by clicking here. Or find them on Facebook.