|This 2011 AQHA sorrel mare, Lacey, will be one of the horses to be sold (Hip No. 28 in the sale) at the Great American Rail Horse Sale on Saturday.|
We’ve got the Easter holiday behind us and Spring has taken hold in the region (thank goodness!). Now it’s time for the horse shows to really get into full swing. This weekend is headlined by a horse auction.
VIRGINIA HORSE CENTER
- The Great American Trail Horse competition and horse sale is this weekend in Anderson Coliseum. The annual auction will be at noon on Saturday and is held for trail horses of all breeds and budgets. Find a catalog here. Photos/Videos of many of the sale horses can be found here. The unique feature of this sale is the $2,000 added, trail horse competition starting at 7 p.m. on Friday. The competition is open only to the horses consigned in the sale. The top 10 horses will be selected to come back Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. for the finals. Friday will also include demonstrations. See a schedule here.
- In the center’s East Complex, The Lee Jackson Classic (APHC) will be hosted by the Senandoah-Blue Ridge Appaloosa Association. Judges are Tony Burris, David Johnson, & Gayle Matson-Kozak. The Lee Jackson is the only regional Appaloosa show held in Virginia and offers classes for youth, non-pro, games, heritage, over fences and non-pro walk-trot and ranch pleasure. Find a class schedule here.
The Franklin County Equestrian Club will host its Spring Fling Horse Show at 10 a.m. Saturday at Ginther Farm in Sontag. The show is Blue Ride Horse Force sanctioned. Get a class schedule here. Chuck Nifong will judge.
A LOOK AHEAD
- The Virginia Classic (AQHA), April 16-19, Virginia Horse Center, Lexington, Va.
- Hollins Horse Sale (471 Lee Highway), April 18, Hollins Stockyard, Tack at 1 p.m., horses at 6 p.m. Sale by C&H Sales.
- Walnut Spring Stable’s Spring Fling Horse Show, April 18, at 10 am, Walnut Spring Stables in Blacksburg, Va.
- Roanoke Valley Pony Club Spring Frolic, April 19, Green Hill Equestrian Center, Salem, Va. Combined Training Show from Intro to Preliminary divisions.
- Franklin County Trailblazers Horse and Pony Show, April 25, 9 a.m., Ginther Farm, Sontag, Va.
- Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, April 25-26, Kentucky Horse Park, Lexington, Ky.
- Franklin County Equestrian Club Gymkhana Saddle Series, May 8, Never Too Late Stable, Wirtz, Va.
- Cross View Horse Show Series, May 16-17, Green Hill Equstrian Center, Salem, Va.
- Roanoke Valley Horse Show, June 15-20, Salem Civic Center, Salem, Va.
- Micheal Lyons Performance Clinic, Saturday, June 27, Walnut Springs Stables, Blacksburg. $175 to ride, $25 to audit. Limited spaces are available. (336) 267-1086
- Clinton Anderson Walkabout Tour, Aug. 22-23, Virginia Horse Center, Lexington, Va.